By Claus-Wilhelm von der Lieth, Thomas Luetteke, Martin Frank
This ebook is the 1st to be devoted to the bioinformatics of carbohydrates and glycoproteins. It offers an creation to this rising box of technology either for the experimentalist operating in glycobiology and glycomics, and in addition for the pc scientist trying to find historical past info for the improvement of hugely refined algorithmic approaches. The publication offers an summary of the cutting-edge within the box, with experiences on databases, and the instruments in use for research, interpretation, and prediction of the buildings of advanced carbohydrates, and demonstrates the worth of bioinformatics for glycobiology.
the provision of finished databases and corresponding bioinformatics instruments, to entry and examine the big quantities of experimental info when it comes to the constitution of carbohydrates, could be a prerequisite for the good fortune of the large-scale glycomics initiatives that target to decipher new, up to now unknown, organic features of glycans. Efficient bioinformatics descriptions and instruments can significantly improve the potency of glycomics examine, when it comes to info caliber, research and experimental expenditures.
for an entire realizing of the molecular strategies during which carbohydrates are concerned, reminiscent of protein–carbohydrate interactions and the effect of glycosylation on protein functionality, wisdom of the 3D constitution of the carbohydrate, the protein–carbohydrate complicated, or the glycoprotein is usually critical. This booklet presents an intensive creation into tools used for conformational research of carbohydrates.
Key positive factors:
- Describes bioinformatic methods to address carbohydrate-active enzymes and glycosylation.
- Provides an summary on bioinformatics instruments that facilitate research of carbohydrate constructions.
- Gives advent into molecular modelling of carbohydrate 3D constitution and carbohydrates inside the Protein Databank.
- Assumes just a easy wisdom of biology and bioinformatics.
Read or Download Bioinformatics for Glycobiology and Glycomics: An Introduction PDF
Similar bioinformatics books
This hugely interdisciplinary ebook discusses the phenomenon of lifestyles, together with its beginning and evolution (and additionally human cultural evolution), opposed to the historical past of thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and data thought. one of the critical topics is the seeming contradiction among the second one legislation of thermodynamics and the excessive measure of order and complexity produced by way of dwelling platforms.
Derived from the excellent two-volume set, Genomic and customized drugs additionally edited via Drs. Willard and Ginsburg, this paintings serves the desires of the evolving inhabitants of scientists, researchers, practitioners and scholars which are embracing the most promising avenues for advances in prognosis, prevention and remedy of human sickness.
This e-book brings to undergo a physique of common sense synthesis recommendations, so as to give a contribution to the research and regulate of Boolean Networks (BN) for modeling genetic illnesses similar to melanoma. The authors offer numerous VLSI common sense thoughts to version the genetic sickness habit as a BN, with robust implicit enumeration thoughts.
This article info modern electroanalytical options of biomolecules and electric phenomena in organic platforms. It offers major advancements in sequence-specific DNA detection for extra effective and cost effective scientific analysis of genetic and infectious illnesses and microbial and viral pathogens.
- Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics, Second Edition
- RNA Scaffolds: Methods and Protocols
- 8th International Conference on Practical Applications of Computational Biology & Bioinformatics (PACBB 2014)
- Web Service Mining: Application to Discoveries of Biological Pathways
- Pharmacocinétique avec Mathematica®
Additional info for Bioinformatics for Glycobiology and Glycomics: An Introduction
10. Helenius A, Aebi M: Roles of N-linked glycans in the endoplasmic reticulum. Annu Rev Biochem 2004, 73:1019–1049. 11. Haslam SM, North SJ, Dell A: Mass spectrometric analysis of N- and O-glycosylation of tissues and cells. Curr Opin Struct Biol 2006, 16:584–591. 12. Rudd PM, Dwek RA: Glycosylation: heterogeneity and the 3D structure of proteins. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol 1997, 32:1–100. 13. Spiro RG: Protein glycosylation: nature, distribution, enzymatic formation, and disease implications of glycopeptide bonds.
Independently, two research groups succeeded in growing crystals of the 1918 HA and analyzed its binding properties [38, 39]. The carbohydrate recognition of influenza virus HA is highly specific: whereas human viruses infect epithelial cells in the lungs and upper respiratory tract which have ␣2,6-linked sialic acids on their surfaces, avian viruses preferentially bind to ␣2,3-linked sialic acids . This slight structural difference in the recognized sugar epitope obviously prevents a spread of the influenza virus infection across species.
Curr Drug Targets 2003, 4:389–408. 51. Stiver G: The treatment of influenza with antiviral drugs. CMAJ 2003, 168:49–56. 52. Torano G, Toledo ME, Baly A, Fernandez-Santana V, Rodriguez F, Alvarez Y, Serrano T, Musachio A, Hernandez I, Hardy E, Rodriguez A, Hernandez H, Aguila rA, Sanchez R, Diaz M, Muzio V, Dfana J, Rodriguez MC, Heynngnezz L, Verez-Bencomo V: Phase I clinical evaluation of a synthetic oligosaccharide-protein conjugate vaccine against Haemophilus influenzae type b in human adult volunteers.
Bioinformatics for Glycobiology and Glycomics: An Introduction by Claus-Wilhelm von der Lieth, Thomas Luetteke, Martin Frank